In our increasingly digital world, online referrals and reviews are becoming the foundation of any successful lawyer. Consumers are relying less on word-of-mouth and more on what they read about a potential attorney online. Arguably one of the most popular lawyer review sites is Avvo – a play on ‘Avvocato’, the Italian word for lawyer.
Avvo is not only a directory of attorneys, it also has a popular feature where users can “Ask A Lawyer” and receive advice directly. There is a considerable amount of competition for this service, as a good answer will likely lead to a client.
So how can you get in on the action? And better yet, how can you get a coveted 10/10 star rating to stand out from your competition? It is easier than you think:
- Be Thorough: Make sure you profile is claimed and filled out completely. Include as much information as you possibly can about your education, work history and practice areas. Also add speaking events, awards received and any articles you have published.
- Give to Get: One of the most important factors of your Avvo rating is your peer reviews. You should give other lawyers positive feedback and testimonials and kindly ask they return the favor. If you are unsure how to endorse an attorney, watch this helpful video provided by Avvo.
- Be Active: Contribute to questions frequently to ensure you are connecting with consumers seeking services in your area.
- Be Proactive: Make sure you are constantly updating your profile. Add new locations as you move, or proactively update phone numbers and emails.
- Share Your Success: Talk about notable court cases you have won. You want potential clients to know that you are great at what you do.
With these tips you are on your way to a superb rating! If you have any questions concerning claiming or optimizing your Avvo profile for success, please don’t hesitate to contact us – we are happy to help.
About the author
Allen Rodriguez is a legal product development strategist who has been serving the legal industry for over 21 years. Over the course of his career, Allen has built a reputation for creating innovative legal services products as well as developing highly effective law firm business and marketing strategies. Allen is a valued speaker on the topics of law marketing, legal services product development, and future of law issues.