Social media is important. According to data provided by Statista, approximately 8 in 10 American adults are active on at least one social media platform. The number is even higher among adults under the age of 50. We are long past the days when social media was for teenagers and college students. People turn to social media for a lot of things—from connecting with their family to getting their news to finding their lawyer.
Social media can be a powerful tool for the legal industry. A consistent effort to acquire new clients is crucial for lawyers and law firms. Social media can be an effective, and cost efficient way to establish yourself as an authority, build your reputation, and connect with potential clients. At ONE400, we are leaders in digital marketing for lawyers and law firms. Here, you will find an overview of the power of social media for the legal industry and an overview of the best practices for using social media.
Why Social Media Marketing Can Be a Power Tool for Lawyers and Law Firms
In today’s digital age, social media has become an essential tool for businesses of all sizes and industries. For law firms, the power of social media lies in its ability to reach and engage with potential clients, establish expert authority, and build brand awareness. With the right strategy, law firms can leverage the various social media platforms to connect with their audience, showcase their expertise, and drive business growth. Whether through informative content, engaging posts, or targeted advertising, or community connections, social media can be a powerful tool for law firms looking to succeed in the competitive legal industry. Some of the most notable benefits of social media marketing for lawyers and law firms include:
- Establishing Authority: Social media platforms can be used to establish a law firm as an authority and leader in its area of practice. Authority matters. People and businesses want a lawyer that they trust has the expertise to provide them with the best representation. By posting valuable and informative content, a law firm can position itself as a reliable source of information and build trust with potential clients. A professional social media profile can make a significant difference.
- Engaging with the Community: Social media allows law firms to connect with their audience on a more personal level. A social media profile is a great way for a lawyer or law firm to engage with their community. It allows law firms to establish an emotional connection with potential clients, drive word of mouth, and promote pro bono work the firm is doing to help its community.
- Improving SEO Rankings: By regularly posting high-quality content on social media, law firms can improve their search engine rankings and make it easier for potential clients to find them online. In addition, social media can also help to drive traffic to a law firm’s website, which can further improve its SEO. Many people find, research, and hire attorneys through search. Indeed, the ABA Journal recently noted that the majority of people are turning to the internet to find a lawyer. Improving SEO should be a primary focus of every law firm.
- Acquiring New Clients: Lawyers and law firms can find clients directly through social media. Social media can be especially effective for attorneys and law firms engaged in certain practice areas, such as personal injury law, criminal defense, family law, and small business law. A continuous focus and effort to acquire new clients is essential for every law firm regardless of practice area.
The Best Practices for Using Social Media in the Legal Industry for 2023
There is no doubt that social media can be an incredibly powerful tool for lawyers and law firms. It can be one of the most cost effective and efficient ways to establish your reputation and grow your legal practice. At the same time, posting on social media is something that should be done carefully. Professionalism matters—especially in the legal industry. These are some best practices for utilizing social media marketing as a lawyer or law firm in 2023:
- Ethical Rules for Lawyers Always Come First: First and foremost, it is important to understand that lawyers are subject to heightened professional and ethical duties. Many state bar associations classify social media as attorney advertising that is subject to their rules. The American Bar Association (ABA) offers guidance for attorneys who are on social media. Any social media marketing or social media use more broadly must be done in a manner that conforms to the ethical requirements of the industry.
- Social Media Marketing Requires Clear Objectives: You cannot succeed without a goal. It is an adage that applies to many things in life, including social media marketing. Lawyers and law firms putting time into building out their social media profiles should establish clear objectives. Whether it is establishing authority or driving more traffic to their website, you should have a plan for your goals in using social media to grow your business.
- Professionalism is Paramount—But Personality Can Shine Through: Professionalism comes first. It almost goes without saying that people are not interested in hiring an attorney who comes across poorly on social media. Lawyers and law firms need to keep professional. That being said, social media is often a “causal” place. There are opportunities for professionals in the legal industry to let their personality shine through on social media. As an example, providing education for the community is a great way to show personality while keeping it professional on social media.
- A Regularly Updated Social Media Profile is a Must: Consistency is key on the internet. Social media is no exception. People are generally not interested in looking at a social media profile that is out-of-date. You do not necessarily need to post on every platform every day, but it is crucial that you keep your social media profiles updated on a regular basis.
- Every Social Media Site is Different: A common mistake that lawyers make is trying to use the same general strategy across each social media platform. Doing so is underwhelming and not effective. Different sites offer different environments—and different advantages. Whereas dense and technical written content may do well on a social media platform like LinkedIn, it is probably not a good choice for Instagram—where a picture of the law firm’s staff is likely a far better choice.
ONE400 is a Leader in Social Media for Legal Industry
At ONE400, we are a comprehensive legal marketing and consulting agency focused on working with clients in the legal industry. Our team helps lawyers and law firms use social media effectively—along with and other digital marketing strategies—to build and grow their practice. Call us now or send us a message to arrange a consultation. Based in Los Angeles, ONE400 serves law firm clients in the United States and throughout the world.